Springfield is lucky to have a great parks system that is able to extend park and pool hours on these hot summer days. The Springfield-Greene County Park Board has issued public announcements that offer a number of ways to cool off seven days a week.
Heat Advisory Days
When the National Weather Service issues heat advisories for the Springfield area this summer, the Springfield-Greene County Park Board will offer the following each day the advisory is in effect:
- If on Tuesdays through Sundays, Grant Beach Park Outdoor Pool, 833 W. Calhoun St., will remain open until 8 p.m.;
- Chesterfield Family Center Indoor Pool, 2511 W. Republic Road, will remain open until 8 p.m., during heat advisory days;
- Cooling Centers: Citizens are welcome to visit the lobby areas of Chesterfield Family Center, 2511 W. Republic Road, Doling Family Center, 301 E. Talmage St., and Mediacom Ice Park, 635 E. Trafficway, during their normal business hours during heat advisory days;
- Gillenwaters Tennis Complex, 3635 S. Jefferson Ave., will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days;
- Perry Tennis Courts, at the corner of Bennett Street and National Avenue, will leave outdoor tennis courts lighted through 11 p.m., during heat advisory days.
Other Ways to Cool Off
- There are seven Outdoor Pool locations to choose from. Grant Beach & Fassnight Park Pools are open Tuesdays – Sundays. Doling, Grant Beach, Westport and Silver Springs Park Pools remain open through the month of July with extended Friday and Saturday hours from 5:30 – 8 p.m. ($1 or canned food item). Fassnight and Meador Park Pools have the same 5:30 – 8 p.m. extended hours on Saturdays. There is a Pool location within the system open seven days a week. A direct link to aquatic information is available at www.parkboard.org/info/aquatics.
- The Ozarks Stream and Fountain at Jordan Valley Park, 735 E. Trafficway, runs 10 a.m. – 9:30 p.m. daily for 30 minutes at the beginning of each hour, and continuously from 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. each day.
- The water feature at Founders Park, 330 E. Water, is a hands and feet-only feature
A full list of park locations is available at www.parkboard.org and the main Park Board Office number is 417-864-1049.